License to Carry a Firearm
APPLICATION FOR LICENSE TO CARRY A FIREARM
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE APPLIED FOR AND PICKED UP IN PERSON – NO EXCEPTIONS
The Sheriff of Dauphin County does not abdicate its responsibility for the processing of Applications for Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, the issuing of a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, the renewing of Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, the revising a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms, or the replacing of a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any other entity, private or governmental, including any internet websites. The Sheriff of Dauphin County does not accept any payments for these license services over the internet or by credit card. All payments must be provided to the Sheriff of Dauphin County in cash, certified bank check, or money order.
You must be 21 years of age and a Dauphin County resident -
You must provide the following:
1. NEW APPLICANTS– Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License or Pennsylvania ID Card issued by the Pa. Dept of Transportation listing current address. (Either form cannot be expired or suspended)
2. RENEWAL APPLICANTS– Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License or Pennsylvania ID Card issued by the Pa. Dept of Transportation listing current address. (Either form cannot be expired or suspended)
3. NON-US CITIZENS– same as new applicants AND Alien Registration/Green Card that shows immigration status and AR Number or Form I-94 with an eleven-digit admission number.
4. The application MUST be completed in its entirety.
License Fees are as follows:
APPLICATION FEE: $6.00
PERMIT FEE : $14.00
TOTAL FEES: $20 (total must be submitted with your initial application.)
FEES MUST BE PAID IN CASH, CERTIFIED BANK CHECK, OR MONEY ORDER.
Cash or Money Orders are the ONLY acceptable payment for the application/processing fee. Paying via cash will speed up the process. The money order must be made out to the “Dauphin County Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $20.00 for the application process fee.
Providing false information on your application may subject you to the penalties outlined in 4904 of the Crimes Code, 18 Pa.C.S., relating to unsworn falsifications to authorities and the Uniform Firearms Act. ALL Drug and Drug related charges are automatic DENIALS. Medical Marijuana Card will give rise to an inference that you are an “unlawful user of or addicted to” a controlled substance, pursuant to 27 C.F.R. § 478.11. Therefore, it is also unlawful for you to apply for, possess or renew a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearm (LTC), because you are “[a]n individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.” (Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Chapter 18, Section 6109(e)(1)(xiv).
5. Office hours are Monday thru - Friday 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM
DUE TO THE INCREASED DEMAND FOR LICENSES, APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER 3:30 PM DUE TO STATEWIDE BACKLOGS OF PICS CHECK. NO EXCEPTIONS.