Weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

You can visit our website and print your document, or you can visit us in person at the Dauphin County Courthouse at 101 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101.

A new deed must be prepared showing the change and then recorded in our office.

A deed should be delivered to you shortly after the purchase of the property. After the mortgage is paid, a mortgage satisfaction is usually sent from your lending institution to our office noting the mortgage is satisfied.

Our records begin in 1785 with our first recorded registry.

You must come into our office with identification, your completed notary bond, and payment. We will record your bond and commission and administer your oath. You will then proceed to the Prothonotary to register your signature. No appointment is necessary.

Generally no, if the property was held jointly by husband and wife as tenants by entirety. If and when the survivor sells or mortgages the property, he or she simply explains in the new deed or mortgage that the other spouse is deceased. There could be special circumstances such as when title is held as tenants in common that would require different handling. You should consult your attorney.

Our fees are set by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through action of the General Assembly and may change from time to time. Our current fee schedule is available by clicking on Fee Schedule Or Printable Forms.

We accept cash or check for recording fees. Checks are made payable to "Dauphin County Recorder of Deeds."

Yes, but make sure all documents meet all legal recording criteria and that the proper fee is enclosed. All documents require a self-addressed stamped envelope for return.

General information can be obtained by phone, but for more detailed information you should come into the office or contact a title searcher or attorney. Our responsibility is only for recording, reproducing, and indexing recordable documents.

The Recorder’s Office will return original documents, in most cases, to the party that presented them for recording within 1-2 days. Document return time is affected by volume of recordings, holidays, and staffing levels. If you have not received your documents after two weeks, contact the person or firm who recorded them for you.

For your protection and accurate permanent records, all documents are electronically imaged and the original is retained until the indexes and records are verified and proofed by at least two people. All electronic images are also backed up on hard drive and microfilmed to meet Pennsylvania Historical Museum Commission requirements. The microfilm is stored off-site in a specially designed underground center so in the event of a disaster in the Courthouse the records can be duplicated.

Yes. All documents recorded in our office are of public record with the exception of Military Discharge Papers (DD214).

Yes, however, it is usually a good idea to have someone with certain expertise in the field, such as an attorney, prepare it for you to make sure it is done properly.

No. The original deed usually covers any buildings erected on the lot now or at a later date.

There is a 2% tax on the consideration or value of the property and interest being conveyed. The tax is split between the state, local municipality and the school district. Department of Revenue receives 1% and the municipality and school district each receive ½ %.

Yes. Conveyances between husband and wife, parent and child, grandparent and grandchild, brothers and sisters are all considered to be tax exempt transactions. There are some other exemptions allowed in certain situations. It’s best to consult your attorney or contact Pennsylvania Department of Revenue concerning them.

Your deed should have a legal description of the boundaries of your property, but you may need a surveyor to use this information to locate the property lines and place markers on the land.

No. Usually a cemetery lot deed only gives you permission to use the ground. The cemetery still retains title to the property. Such deeds or titles are maintained in the office of the Cemetery Company or Association.